Wednesday, August 4, 2010

MCAT

Last Thursday, I finally took the MCAT! Yippee!

The MCAT is a four part test, physical sciences on physics and chemistry, biological sciences on o chem and biology, reading comprehension and a writing portion with two essays. The first three parts are all multiple choice and you have an hour and 5 minutes each to complete them, the two essays are each 30 minutes and woefully too short! The exam itself wasn't very hard, but it just covered so many different subjects that you need to be on top of your game to get them. You also need to remember all the random formulas, especially for physics. It ended up taking about 5 hours and for sure need a snack time in between. :)

I don't know why I was so scared. The Kaplan course and the study books definitely helped a lot, but I wish I had taken this after sophomore year, when I was in practice. Genetics and physiology classes definitely helped in preparation for this.

Studying the day of the test didn't help at all, it just passed through my head like water. Especially since all I could focus on was the hot ass Indian guy with the broad shoulders and hazel eyes sitting next to me. Hai mirchi.

Out of the 15 or so kids that showed up, five were Indian and a few had their parents hanging around outside. So, of course Daddy excitedly ran up to them and introduced himself. I was too nervous to care, but it was amusing to watch. The first Indian he came upon wasn't a Punjabi and looked cornered between the door and my dad, averted his gaze and spoke so quietly I couldn't hear. Dad switched from Punjabi to some generic Hindi, "Bhai, aap kaisa ho?" Within the minute, a Punjabi uncle ran up to Dad from across the plaza and introduced himself in proper, boisterous Punjabi. At the end of the day I asked if Dad had made any new friends, and he said, "That wasn't making friends, that was just saying hello!" Haha.

I don't find out my scores until the end of August, let's hope they're as fantastic as my parents pray they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment